Friday, August 12, 2011

Hula-hooping is the poorman's treadmill.

You may or may not remember that a few months ago I decided I would try to work out on a regular basis (well, I mean, I tried last summer too...and a few years back....but this time I really meant it).  You may remember that I tried out Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.  While I have no real complaints about it (other than I hate jumping-jacks), I couldn't see myself making it a habit (as in, once 30 days was up, and I had mastered all the modified workouts, I couldn't see myself doing it for the next 80 years).  And really, I didn't want to lose the 20 pounds it said I would (I didn't). All I really wanted to do was find some sort of workout routine that I enjoyed, that was low cost/ low maintenance, and would qualify for my "30 minutes a day."  I am in it for the feel-good hormones that working out provides, and the long-term health benefits.  And also so my pants aren't so tight.  But really for health. 
Anyway, shortly after I "completed" the shred, I read somewhere that Hula-hooping is a legitimate form of exercising.  Good cardio. Burns calories. Works the muscles in one's torso and thighs. Etc.  Really, what more could I ask for?  Plus, I am a really good hula-hooper.  There has never been a time where I remember not being able to hula-hoop. 
So, I went out and bought a hula-hoop for five bucks, figuring, if it was just too silly to hula-hoop for 30 minutes a day in my living room, I was only out five dollars, and could probably easily find a kid somewhere who wanted the hula hoop.
Turns out, I have a high tolerance for what's silly, because I have kept up with it all summer!

Top Five Reasons Why Hula-Hooping Is My Main Form of Formal Exercise:
5. Inexpensive
4. Doesn't take up a lot of space (seriously, we have a tiny living room, and I manage just fine with out knocking anything over while hula-hooping).
3. You can watch TV or read a non-school book pretty easily while hula-hooping, making 30 minutes fly by.
2. While Jillian seems to think that my upper body needs to be toned, it's really the middle part that needs the most work, which is exactly what hula-hooping focuses on.
1.  It is low impact, and I don't have to wear any sort of athletic gear (shoes, sports bra, etc) to hula hoop.  I can just roll out of bed and hula hoop if I want to.



A recent picture of me hula-hooping.  Well, the most recent I could find.  My haircut and sense of style are the same as when I was 4, so does it really matter?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...