Monday, August 22, 2011

Feeling saucy. Another picture story.

Yesterday I was given some peppers and mushrooms, so naturally today I thought I would make some mass quantities of pizza sauce.

I went to the Farmer's Market here in town, which is open on Monday afternoons/evenings and got a  lot of tomatoes.

Had to do these in a couple of batches.  I boiled the tomatoes to make them softer for when I put them in the blender.  Also, it makes it easier to take the skins off if you boil them (though, I decided that it was too much work to take all the skins off....so I left the skins on about 3/4 of them.  The internet said it would be ok, and that it was a matter of personal preference.

Lovely red blended tomatoes.

Added some salt, pepper, basil, and oregano.

Meanwhile, sauteing peppers, onions, garlic, etc

Blended the peppers/onions/garlic, and poured that into the mix.

The key ingredient.  Finely chop, and then saute.  Do not put in blender.

Like this.

At this point I realize that I will not be able to fit the small amount of leftover sauce that I intended to add to this, as well as the tomato paste....so I get the next biggest pot, which also happens to be the canning pot.

Much better.

Plenty of room.

Bring to boil, stirring a lot.  Then let simmer for at least 15 minutes.  Stir often.

Helps to have this handy device for putting the sauce into jars.

Tada!  The tupperware is for the sauce that we will use sometime this week. Plus I used up all my jars.

Getting reading to be sealed.  The little one wouldn't fit.

Almost done.  Have to sit on this towel for 12 hours.

I wonder how long this will last?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...