Monday, September 19, 2011

Markings, Part 18, Fin

In case you forgot that I didn't actually get up early every day in September in order to post these. They are the beauty of scheduling posts! (though I still read them every day. I likes them).

86. As I continued along the Way, I learned, step by step, word by word, that behind every saying in the Gospels stands one man and one man's experience. Also behind the prayer that the cup might pass from him and his promise to drink it. Also behind each of the words from the Cross. (205)

87. Sleepless questions
In the small hours:
Have I done right?
Why did I act
Just as I did?
Over and over again
The same steps
The same words:
Never the answer. (209)

88. June 11, 1961
Summoned
To carry it,
Alone
To assay it,
Chosen
To suffer it,
And free
To deny it,
I saw
For one moment
The sail
In the sun storm,
Far off
On a wave crest,
Alone,
Bearing from land.


For one moment
I saw.
(211)

89. July 19, 1961
Have mercy
Upon us.
Have mercy
Upon our efforts,
That we
Before Thee, 
In love and in faith,
Righteousness and humility,
May follow Thee,
With self-denial, steadfastness, and courage,
And meet Thee
In the silence.


Give us
A pure heart
That we may see Thee,
A humble heart
That we may hear Thee,
A heart of love
That we may serve Thee,
A heart of faith
That we may live Thee,


Thou
Whom I do not know
But Whose I am.


Thou
Whom I do not comprehend
But Who hast dedicated me
To my fate.
Thou --
(214-215)

90. Almighty...
Forgive
My doubt,
My anger,
My pride.
By Thy mercy
Abase me,
By Thy strictness
Raise me up.
(217)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...