Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Of course there is going to be a blogpost the first morning of Lent, otherwise known as Ash Wednesday. Especially when the writer has given up Facebook and Twitter until Easter

Well.  I woke up this morning with a sore throat, the donut/spare tire that we put on the car after yesterday's fiascos is flat (yesterday's fiascos=flat tire on the way to school.  never made it to class.  car battery died after we finally got the tire changed. had to call AAA twice. it's a longer story than that, but you get the idea). Had to call the mechanic this morning to say I would be late, because our only spare tire is flat.  Oh, and it's raining.  But we knew that, because the weather forecast last night said today had a 100% chance for rain.

Why am I dumping all of this information on you, dear Blog Reader?

Well, mainly because for Lent, I decided that I am a slave to social media, and gave up Facebook and Twitter.  Lord help us.  By Easter, my top sites will be this blog, the weather, and the Bible.  Oh, and maybe I'll start remembering to check emails again.  I asked Google whether or not blogs are considered social media, and I really didn't get a definite professional answer.  But since I really just enjoy writing, and I'm not the type of blog that has 5324 comments after every post, I am going to say that this is not really social media, though at this moment it is filling the hole that social media has left in my heart.

Anyway, when I woke and found out that the donut was flat and that it hurt to swallow, my mind first went to thinking about how I could say that in 140 characters or less.  I told you I was a slave.  After I remembered that it was Ash Wednesday, I wondered who I could text this to, since clearly this is newsworthy, right?  And the more people I thought about texting, the more ridiculous it seemed.  Why do I need to announce the stupid mundane details of my life to people who are probably still sleeping?  Granted, if I were to post it on fb/tw, people would flock to choose to read it themselves.  Not that people are flocking to my particular updates, but mine are in there with everyone else's, just waiting to be  liked or retweeted.  Even this blog doesn't recognize retweeted as a word, and keeps auto-correcting it to 'retreated.'

Anyway, as I was wallowing in self-pity, this verse came to my mind:
Whom have I in heaven but you?
I desire you more than anything on earth.
(Psalm 73:25)

And realize...that's part of the point of Lent.  Remembering where my desires should be.  Not sure if God's going to give me a new verse every day, or if this is going to be my verse for all of Lent.  We'll see.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...