Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Quote of the moment

I am currently rereading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy by Douglas Adams again.  I love it, as always.  In college, for an announcing class, we had to record ourselves quite a bit, and often I would record myself reading passages of Douglas Adams' wit.

Here is the most frequent one that I read that I loved:


What else was pleasant? he asked himself.  Well, so many things: the red and gold of the trees, now that autumn was approaching; the peaceful chatter of scissors a few feet from his bath where a couple of hairdressers were exercising their skills on a dozing art director and his assistant; the sunlight gleaming off the six shiny telephones lined up along the edge of his rock-hewn bath. The only thing nicer than a phone that didn't ring all the time (or indeed at all) was six phones that didn't ring all the time (or indeed at all).

Found in Chapter 32 of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Wings Books, New York, 1980.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...