Friday, November 4, 2011

2011.


  • Inspired by Julie, I think it's time to evaluate just how badly I'm failing at my new year's resolutions. There's still plenty of 2011 left, so I won't be too hard on myself yet.

  • 1. Learn to sew well.
    • I have learned to sew decently. I haven't been practicing as much as I would like, but perhaps some new holiday pillow covers will be in order once Thanksgiving is over (or maybe not). I have been crafty in other ways this year, as this is the year I also taught myself to crochet and make soap.
  • 2. Take frugality to new, creative levels.
    • Tried coupons for a while, and then discovered that shopping at Aldi is even better than using coupons. Though I will probably start using coupons again in the future when everyone and their mother doesn't want to feed us on a regular basis, and grocery shopping becomes more of a necessity.
    •  Learned to make soap, so will probably spend very little on bars of soap from here on out.
    • That's about it. Or at least as much as I can think of right now.
  • 3. Make one new photo a week.
    • Fail. But not a total fail. I have not given up on making photos completely.
  • 4. Travel to a country I've never visited.
    • Canada. Twice. Going to go to Toronto in December for this:
      • Toronto Christmas Market: 
  • 5. Remember the Sabbath day, and keep it holy (or should this be number 4?).
    • Have been trying to in general be better with how and what I spend my time on. There is always room for improvement, but I feel like I am on the right road with this one. Usually Saturday or Sunday is when I try to remember the Sabbath.
  • 6. Regularly attend a Bible study.
    • I am regularly attending two Bible studies. I love it. Both of them for different reasons. One for the community it provides, and the other for the opportunity to meet other people in the greater community that I wouldn't otherwise. Both provide good study of the Bible, too. Of course.
  • 7. Expand our family.
    • We've been working on this. Currently working with someone to figure out why we haven't been fruitful. There is very little time left in 2011 to succeed in this, but there is always hope for 2012...and trusting the Lord's timing.
  • 8. Sell something I make.
    • I think I could sell some soap. It's good soap. Though not sure if I will sell any in 2011. It's still progress though, to figure out a craft that I like love.
  • 9. Accomplish at least 2 of the unbolded goals for 2008, particularly the ones that refer to the fact that I once again live in Pennsylvania.
    • Here they are, to remind you:
      • 1. Go to Boston -- haven't done. Still want to. Maybe next year.
        5. Go to Washington DC -- see number one.
        9. Go to Niagara Falls -- twice!
        13. Go Colonial Williamsburg -- No, but we went to Gettysburg, which should count for something.
        17. Go to a Boston Red Sox Game -- see #1.
        21. Go to The Poconos -- Nope. This is further away from us than DC.
        23. See the Statue of Liberty -- Nope, but maybe in 2012.
        24. Go to New Hampshire -- No
        27. Go to Vermont -- No
        31. Go to Connecticut -- No
        35. Go to Maryland -- No, but Gettysburg is super close to Maryland, so there's that.
        39. Go to Delaware -- No
        43. Go to New Jersey -- No
        179. Go to Canada -- Yes, but counting it for visiting another country.
  • 10. Visit the capital of the country on my passport.
    • No. There are too many cross-over things on this year's list, which makes my failure seem to be that much more. I will have to keep this in mind for next year. I mean, there is still time to go to DC...and it is a mere five-ish hours away....but....well, we'll see.
  • 11. Exercise more.
    • I was better at this throughout the summer. Have stopped intentionally exercising. BUT, have started drinking tea on a regular basis, and making sure I am getting enough water, and cutting down on the amount of sugar I consume...so really, I'm healthier than I was at the beginning of the year. Which is progress.





----
Oh yeah, and I am thankful that I even have the opportunities to try the things on this list. I am truly blessed.

2 comments:

Julie said...

1. in the spirit of my own resolutions i am removing the tag of "self-absorption" from this post #lettingyouoffthehook

2. Hurray for updates!

3. I feel silly asking, but what state IS Gettysburg in?

4. You should definitely sell some of your soap - it looks amazing!

Laura said...

1. Shoot. Thanks.
2. Yes, it has been too long!
3. Pennsylvania :) South and east of here, close to the Maryland border.
4. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...