Thursday, October 14, 2010

Weaknesses

Awhile back, I found out my strengthsfinder strengths.

After quite some time of thinking about it, I've come to realize that my strengths are also my weaknesses, for better or for worse.

Here's what I wrote about my strengths last time, with my new thoughts in a different color.
Learner -- "You love to learn. ...whatever the subject, you will always be drawn to the process of learning." This is true. I like to learn in all ways, but I am primarily a visual learner. If money were no object, I would go back to school and study a variety of topics.
As a result, I know a little bit about a lot of things, but I don't really know a lot about any one thing.
Futuristic -- "Wouldn't it be great if..." you are the kind of person who loves to peer over the horizon. The future fascinates you. ...a better product, a better team, a better life, or a better world -- it will always be inspirational to you. You are a dreamer who sees visions of what could be and who cherishes those visions." Hit the nail on the head. As of late, I cannot go to a restaurant or a church without daydreaming the whole time about ways to improve it.
As a result, I have a really hard time living in the present.  And don't even get me started on history.  In my Early Church class, which I really enjoy by the way, every once in a while I have to reign my thoughts in to think about what it meant for the people at the time...not how it will look for whatever ministry God wants me to do in the future.  And by every once in a while, I mean all the time.

Input -- "You are inquisitive. You like to collect things. ... Whatever you collect, you collect it because it interests you. And yours is the kind of mind that finds so many things interesting. The world is exciting precisely because of its infinite variety and complexity." I mostly collect information, facts, books, quotations, etc. I'm not really the type that has a collection of alike tangible objects.
I do however, keep a good amount of clutter around.  I'm trying to be better about it.  It helps that I never live in one place for too long, moving certainly helps one to keep only the important things in life. 
Intellection -- "You like to think. You like mental activity. You like exercising the 'muscles' of your brain, stretching it in multiple directions. ...it simply describes that you like to think. You are the kind of person who enjoys your time alone because it is your time for musing and reflection." Yes, yes, yes, and yes.
I tend to over think things.  To dwell too much on stupid stuff, or to second guess myself. 
Responsibility -- "Your Responsibility theme forces you to take psychological ownership for anything you commit to, and whether large or small, you feel emotionally bound to follow it to completion. Your good name depends on it. If for some reason you cannot deliver, you automatically start to look for ways to make it up to the other person. ...Your willingness to volunteer may sometimes lead you to take on more than you should." My mom told me that even as a little girl, I had more of a sense of a responsibility than most adults. For better or for worse, my plate is always full (not my food plate). I'm trying to work on finding balance.
I take too much on, can't say no, hold unrealistic expectations of myself and others.  I am trying to be better at prioritizing my time and setting boundaries.  I hope I don't get too good at saying no to things though.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...