Monday, October 25, 2010

Appealing Simplicity

Top 3 Things That Currently Appeal To Me:
1.  Frugality.  
Not only in what we're spending our money on, but also for time and energy.  When I am too busy, I sometimes feel like I am merely surviving.  I can't imagine that being constantly busy and worn out is what Jesus was talking about when he mentioned living life to the full (John 10:10).
2.  Honing and selling a craft.
First, I need to come up with a marketable, artsy, crafty skill.  I think I would like to try my hand at sewing (not so much clothes, but little throw pillows or homemade grocery bags.  Or blankets.), since knitting/crocheting just hasn't agreed with me in the past, and writing snarky sayings on a piece of wood just doesn't seem legit enough to me.  Plus, I feel like we would have the space in our small apartment to accommodate for sewing (as opposed to a craft like woodwork, or ceramics).  Then, as soon as I get good, and have exhausted making everyone their Christmas and birthday presents, and donating to charities and silent auctions, I would learn what an Etsy was, or just go to good old fashioned craft fairs, and sell my wares.  I think I've mentioned on this blog before how appealing "selling my wares" is.
3.  Gardening.
Like sewing and being frugal, gardening also has a sense of taking care of yourself and others using the resources God gave you.  After experimenting with canning, I found that I liked it, but that it would be more cost effective (and satisfying) if the fruit and vegetables were ones that I had grown.  I also think that this might be something that I am romanticizing a little bit, because I am not sure that I can see myself out in the yard trying to determine which plants are weeds.  So maybe I should start out with sewing (I feel like I've got a bit of a start on frugality already)?


Ok.  I am clearly:
a) born in the wrong century
b) procrastinating in the form of blogging.  Apparently my homework is not doing itself?
c) all of the above


It also doesn't help that the last few blogs I've read cater to these types of interests.
Blah.  Homework now.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...