Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Book Recommendation

For my class I had to read the book Christianity Rediscovered, by Vincent J. Donovan.

Clearly I just took Amazon's picture of the book...but trust me, it looks just like mine, only no "click to look inside!"

This is a must read, especially for anyone seriously thinking of working in the mission field. I will certainly read it again, and you are welcome to borrow my copy.

On the surface it is an account of Donovan's time spent in East Africa ministering to the Masai people. But much more than that, it challenges us to think about the meaning of what it is to be a missionary, and how does one go about sharing the gospel without tainting it with their culture? Donovan distinguishes between the difference of missionary work and pastoral work, and the importance of community with regards to faith (as opposed to only focusing on the individual).

It is a challenging and thought-provoking book. The content is easy enough to read through pretty quickly, but the ideas presented are some that I have been thinking about for a while, and some new ones that I will continue to think about.

It really made me question my calling (or, my interpretation of my calling). It is not a new thing for me to question what it is I want to be when I grow up, but recently I have been thinking about it even more. I think the real question is how do I want to partake in ministry, and how does that look? If I ever become a mother, and all the kids are over the age of 5 and in school, what will I do with my time between 8a and 3p? What if I'm finding that I'm not so into evangelism and missionarying, but into teaching and propheting and community building?

Those last few sentences were not really what the book was about, but some of my thoughts as a result of the book.

But seriously. Read it, and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...