Saturday, January 4, 2014

January 4, 2014

Psalm 72, Exodus 3:1-5, Hebrews 11:23-31

Today again we get a glimpse of Heaven on Earth. A bush that is on fire, but does not burn. The audible voice of God. Moses choosing oppression because he is one of God's people (rather than enjoying the fleeting pleasures of sin). In Hebrews 11:26-27 we see a good picture of faith:  "He thought it was better to suffer for the sake of Christ than to own the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking ahead to his great reward. It was by faith that Moses left the land of Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger. He kept right on going because he kept his eyes on the one who is invisible."

As someone who hasn't been tortured or killed or persecuted for my faith, I have a difficult time fathoming this. I mean of course Heaven is our great reward, and of course we should be able to get through trials here on earth, because of what is to come, and keeping our eyes on the one who is invisible. I think I get it. And I have certainly seen God's hand in my life, in big ways and small. And I am thankful. It is just difficult sometimes to wrap my head around the different situations around the world that Christians find themselves in.

Let our prayer be from Psalm 72:12-14 today:

He will rescue the poor when they cry to him;
he will help the oppressed, who have no one to defend them.
He feels pity for the weak and the needy,
and he will rescue them.
He will redeem them from oppression and violence,
for their lives are precious to him.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...