Wednesday, January 22, 2014

January 22, 2014

Psalm 40:6-17, Isaiah 48:12-21, Matthew 9:14-17

Today I am struck by verses 17-18 in the Isaiah passage. I have been thinking about fasting lately, too, but I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to talk about that over Lent (in March/April).

Isaiah 48:17-18
This is what the Lord says—
your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
“I am the Lord your God,
who teaches you what is good for you
and leads you along the paths you should follow.
Oh, that you had listened to my commands!
Then you would have had peace flowing like a gentle river
and righteousness rolling over you like waves in the sea."


These are comforting words. So often in life I have wondered where I was supposed to go and what I was supposed to do, and the Lord has always shown me. Recently I have received confirmation from the Lord about where I don't need to be. Maybe someday, but not now. And I feel extreme peace about it.

Like a good parent should, the Lord teaches us what is good for us, he shows us where to go and the right thing to do. We need to practice listening to God, learning to hear his voice, and studying his word. Prayer as conversation. Do you dominate the conversation, or do you listen as much or more as you talk?


Prayer:
Lord, help me to hear you. Help me to listen.


























Amen.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...